Wednesday, October 1, 2008

controlled burn

A good post here called "The Case for Letting it Burn" makes me think of forestry policy in relation to the financial mess. I'm opposed to the pie-in-the-sky policies that caused the volatility and extent of the crisis. Each day that the sky doesn't fall makes me wonder if the bailout is necessary and solidifies my opposition to it. I always think of leftist policies as feel-good short-term things, from their economics to their environmental (Free houses for poor people! Trees are good!). The illusion of a poorly managed forest is nice, controlled burns can be ugly, but the result is a healthier forest overall and in the future.

So I say no bailout. Let this be a controlled burn to destroy the waste of the economy so that good big new economic trees can grow.

No comments: